We here at MG - Militant Ginger, Mini Militant, Kitty Copy Editor and Editorial Bear - would be really chuffed if redheads out there would be willing to slap these stickers on their own cars and bear their ginger bouffant with pride.
Getting one is easy - just email me your mailing address and I'll send one out. All I ask in return is that you send us a picture of your sticker proudly in place (and don't worry, we'll blank out your license plate.)
Seriously - we gingers have been the butt of jokes for decades now. Take ownership today, and turn what ignorant people would use as an insult into a mark of pride. Become a Militant Ginger today!
To commemorate Build A Sign's generous donation, I'm going to be returning to my (ginger) roots and running a week's worth of blogs about red hair and gingerism. In the mean time, here are some previous posts about red hair and what it means to be ginger, in England and elsewhere.
- Being Ginger - "Ginger haired people are the only minority you can still legitimately harass. No civilised person would hassle a black guy just because of the colour of his skin. But those same people, so desperate not to be accused of being 'racist,' would spill my pint in a pub and call me "copper knob.""
- Prejudice against Gingers - "I must commend the Daily Echo for actually standing up and saying what a generation have been too afraid to - that racism against ginger people (be they scots/irish or nordic) is no better than racism against against anybody else."
- Ginger is the new Black - Catherine Tate in her most famous sketch.
- More Ginger Discrimination from Britain - "Tesco has been blasted for selling a Christmas card which pokes fun at ginger kids. The card has left the mother of three red-headed children fuming after she spotted it while shopping."
- STABBED! For being ginger! - "A 20-year-old man has been stabbed in the back after an argument over his ginger hair."