Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What to do when you're not drinking...

In order to trim down to my fighting weight (as seen here) I have given up drinking during the week and taken up press-ups. This has the added benefit of saving me beer money and the price of a gym membership. I'm still fat, though.

However, I have another problem now too. Without a beer to quaff after work, I am left with abundant energy. Therefore I have a freelance job, writing and editing for an English insurance company.

Insurance. This is about as exciting as this story gets.

However, it raises an interesting point. America, being the land of opportunity, has given me the opportunity to earn a little money (about the price of a six-pack of Samuel Adams Boston Lager) every night, in addition to my (grossly underpaid) day job.

Why didn't Britain have these neat little opportunities?

That's one of the things that I love about America. There are always the opportunities to earn a few extra dollars. In Britain, they tell you that hard work never killed anybody. Out here in New York, they're testing that theory.

No comments: