Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Gut Feelings...

In England, I suffered from terrible indigestion.

Heartburn. Acid Reflux. Call it what you want, but I was uncomfortable just about every night, with my stomach acids churning like a cement mixer.

I went to see various doctors about it (Gawd bless the NHS) but nobody quite knew what to do about it. I was given a couple of prescriptions of pills (mostly Proton Pump Inhibitors, which is the coolest name for a drug ever) and they worked - but as soon as the pills stopped, the reflux came back.

Now the weird thing...

The indigestion had started when I returned to Europe in the summer of 2003. Before then, I've never had any trouble at all. Since then, my stomach was gurgling like the fiery pit of Hades every evening. It was damn near intolerable. I mean, I went to a doctor and I don't normally do that for anything short of hemorrhage.

So two and a bit months ago, I move back to America and overnight, it goes.

No more indigestion.

Okay, maybe a twinge. I didn't feel quite right after Ronn's pool party, but I have a feeling that had more to do with Stoli Doli and tequila shots than any underlying physiological conditions.

But day to day? Not a peep. My stomach's as calm as the English Channel.

I have no idea what it is. My tantruming tummy remained calm even when I sloshed back beer and steak like I did in England. There's just some strange, unfathomable factor that soothes my turgid tum tum and I feel better than I have for years.

It's very strange, especially considering over the counter indigestion medications are some of the biggest sellers in the USA. In a nation of over indulgers (an estimated 66% of the population is overweight) dyspepsia seems to be one of the most common medical complaints.

But not for me. Not any longer. And long may it stay that way.

And just to test my stomach's sturdiness, we'll give it a run for it's money when the drinks flow next week, at the Huntington T.G.I. Fridays Bartender Olympics.

No comments: