Saturday, September 17, 2011

No sperm please, you're ginger...

Danish sperm bank Cryos, the largest depository of donated sperm in the world, is turning down gingers.

"There are too many redheads in relation to demand," admits Ole Schou, Cryos's director. "The only reliable demand for sperm from redheaded donors from Ireland, where it sells like hot cakes."

"I do not think you chose a redhead, unless the partner - for example, the sterile male - has red hair, or because the lone woman has a preference for redheads. And that's perhaps not so many, especially in the latter case."

This is not good news. For a start, it's a fairly blatant demonstration of how redheads continue to be deemed somehow "less desirable" than people with more traditional hair colors. Secondly, and more importantly, it puts a serious dampener on my planned Militant Ginger Mail Order Sperm Company.

Cryos supply bespoke sperm to over 65 countries worldwide. That raises a question I've always had about sperm donation and test tube babies: What does it say about our society when creating test tube babies is a billion dollar industry, yet at any given time there are 120,000 children up for adoption in the United States alone?

And another issue, particular to Britain and other European countries. Given the number of children up for adoption, is it appropriate that fertility treatment is offered by the National Health Service, and other taxpayer funded health care funds?

How do you feel about the issue?





3 comments:

Asian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Saqib Imran said...

Un-Believable truth I must say anyways I don't think its a good idea to make test tube babies from those sperms who don't even know who`s children are they....!!!

Pipkin said...

Being the wife of a ginger, I find it odd that so many have negative feelings toward gingers. What gives?IT's like being left handed, I guess, people have these crazy notions.

On the test-tube vs adoption front, it's a much harder and in some ways sadder issue. Because these kids are the children of abusers or neglectful parents, they are sometimes seen as less than perfect, and somehow damaged. Now don’t get me wrong, some of these kids really have suffered great harm and have serious mental and emotional trauma they must overcome. These particular kids are hard to parent, but they are also usually older too.

I think some parents are selfish and don’t want to take on a kid who may be a problem (news flash- all kids are problems!). They also really really really want to make a little person in whom they can see their partner. Since I met and married my husband, I have been better able to understand this point of view. I would still like to adopt as well as have our own child. I hope and pray our kid has red hair! That would be awesome, because I adore gingers!