Sunday, November 28, 2010

New Column: Devil's Advocate

I feel incredibly privileged to have had online sexuality magazine SexIs publish a number of my articles over the past couple of years (my favorite being Sherlock & Watson: The original Ambiguously Gay Duo?)

But now, I'm feeling even more privileged - because SexIs have gone one step further and actually given me my own monthly column!

Given their demanding editorial standards, plus the astonishing repertoire of high-profile contributors they have (figures like Sinclair Sexsmith and Nina Hartley) this is a huge honor and I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity.

It's also a bit daunting - as opinionating about sex might not result in articles and posts I'd necessarily want my parents reading! But since I'm Copy Editor of Jacques magazine already, I think the cat's already out of the bag when it comes to the more 'grown up' writing that I do.

But while I had the opportunity to write under a pseudonym, I eventually decided to write as 'Roland Hulme' instead. I felt that using my real name and identity would ultimately force me to take an accountability for what I write that anonymous writers don't have to - and make me back up my opinions with solid facts rather than just wishful thinking.

(Or, at least, I will attempt to. Only time will tell whether or not I'll succeed!)

SexIs asked me to come on board to serve as a foil for political correctness, dogmatic opinion and what is occasionally a rather narrow minded, overly 'politically correct' attitude towards sex writing. That being said, they've made it very clear that giving me a forum to offer my opinions doesn't necessarily mean they'll agree with them!

In fact, I'm sure that my tenure as columnist will end up ruffling a few feathers - and result in a few people criticizing SexIs for giving me this forum in the first place.

To those detractors, all I can do is quote the eminent Benjamin Franklin - who wrote:
"if all Printers were determin'd not to print any thing till they were sure it would offend no body, there would be very little printed."
Franklin essentially invented the kind of debate that magazines like SexIs thrive on to this day - opinionating, debating and discussing with enthusiasm, controversy and occasionally even animosity.

He believed that giving both sides of a debate the opportunity to state their case was important, because he had faith that:
"when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
I can't promise that I'll always be right in what I write - but I'll certainly challenge of lot of complacency, and hopefully stir some thoughtful debate along the way. I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity. Thanks, SexIs!

1 comment:

Susanne said...

That's awesome, Roland! I'm happy for you!