Monday, January 07, 2008

I am America! (and So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert

I've already mentioned just what a sublime comedy genius Stephen Colbert is. His nightly show is a ripping attack on right-wing political pundits and the increasing gap between 'Truth' and 'Fact' in the modern media.

So I have to admit, I was looking forward to reading his book, I Am America (and So Can You!) ever since it was released (cannily coinciding with his abortive run for the presidency in South Carolina.)

However, the book actually turned out to be every bit as flippant and inconsequential as the character Stephen portrays. I actually felt like the joke was on me once I'd finished reading it.

Which, in itself, is kind of the punchline. Having spent three days reading his whirlwind diatribe of opinion and ignorance, I was left feeling both cheated and validated at the same time. And I should have known better...

After all, Colbert proudly announced that he hadn't 'written' his book - he'd 'shouted it into a tape recorder over the Columbus Day weekend.'

It was meant to be written in the style of a narcissistic political pundit who churns out books without giving much more than scant attention to what's in them. And the twist in this satirical tale? That's exactly how the book was written!

In the 240 pages of I Am America, Stephen Colbert coolly waxes lyrical about politics, religion, education, history, sports and race relations - all in the slick, polished character he appears as every night on Comedy Central.

He perfectly apes the self-important, fact-free rants of right wing political conservatives who believe 'gut feeling' has more veracity than evidence or fact. However, in doing so, it all gets very tiresome very quickly.

Because Colbert's book is basically a one-trick pony. It's funny, I'll grant you. It provides consistent smug chuckles throughout. However, if I'm going to spend three days reading somebody's dumb political ideas, I'd rather read a real person's dumb political ideas, rather than read what a brilliant comedian scathingly imagines somebody's dumb political ideas to be.

In the end, I still think I Am America (and So Can You!) is something I'm very proud of to have in my bookcase - but owning this book isn't so much about reading it as making a political statement by buying it (and my copy was a gift from my sister.)

It's exactly like one of those Oprah-endorsed best-sellers that people buy so they can leave it on their coffee table as a statement of their values and beliefs.

Which, if they're brutally honest, is pretty much the point of it.

HOWEVER...

After reading Stephen Colbert's entirely inconsequential book, I got to the end and discovered a 'page filler' which suddenly validated the entire purchase.

It was a transcription of Colbert's stunning 2006 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner speech, which he'd given in front of President Bush and the entire White House staff.

A copy of this speech alone is more than worth the price of the book.

In having the chutzpah to stand on a podium in front of the leader of the greatest nation on earth - and horribly insult him - makes Stephen Colbert one of the bravest comedians of his generation - and also demonstrates that's he's possibly as arrogant as the character he portrays on TV.

It's a scathing speech - and whether you agree with it or not, it's difficult not to admire the depth of comedy genius behind it. You may think it an appropriate criticism of the press and the 43rd President - or you might agree with Fox & Friends that it went 'over the line.' Whatever you think, you'll probably agree with Colbert's colleague Jon Stewart, who told the press: "We've never been prouder of him... But holy shit!"

"The greatest thing about this man [President Bush] is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will."

Colbert Nation

The White House Dinner speech is a whole other reason to buy Colbert's book - but if you do, just remember. You don't have to read it. You've already got the joke.

I Am America (and So Can You!) is available for $26.99 from most good booksellers.

No comments: