Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Emulating Talented People Part #1

This is a cute little comic-strip drawn by disgustingly talented artist, animator and all around astoundingly creative person called Erica Henderson.

This is astonishingly funny because the same thing happens to my wife all the time. One stretch too many and her generously proportioned 'puppies' send blouse-buttons pinging all the way across the room!

Erica Henderson hit my radar recently, when she covered as 'guest artist' for Sluggy Freelance creator Pete Abrams. An incredibly talented cartoonist (even Pete would admit, far better than him) she studies art at some east-coast university in between drawing for Sluggy Freelance and animating rocktastic music videos.

Her stuff is awesome. If you visit her blog, you can see a variety of sketches, animations and the like she's done for various projects - all of which are effortlessly accomplished. She even finds time to make corsets and dresses in the mean time - so she's basically the one who's sucked up all the talent and left you and me unable to sketch more than a banana.


Finding Erica's blog inspired me, though.

As you might know, I consider myself something of a cartoonist. My 'man in beer t-shirt' is famously found on used napkins and discarded notepads in a wide variety of conference centres and Holiday Inns across England.

People are always saying to me: "Hey, you should draw something other than a man in a beer t-shirt" and I've always said; "I'll think about it."

Which is basically my way avoiding the issue. You see, I can't draw anything apart from that 'man in a beer t-shirt.' And a dragon called Spike and a very simplistic version of Piglet the Wonder Dog.

But Erica's blog inspired me to give it a go.

I really would recommend heading over there and having a look at it. If you're into Cthulu mythos, sci-fi craziness and like cartoons of buxom wenches in classic 'pin up' poses you'll be sketchpad shangri-la.

All artwork entirely copyright Erica Henderson and gratuitously stolen without permission. Please check out her website at ericahenderson.50webs.com

No comments: