Friday, October 12, 2007

Nanowrimo 2007

Well, it's nearly that time again. Nanowrimo 2007 is creeping up on us and the starting pistol fires on November 1st.

But for those of you who aren't aspiring writers - or not determined to jeopardise job, family, marriage or health to further your fervid writing ambitions - the whole Nanowrimo thing might seem a bit confusing.

What is it? Why does it exist? How does it have the power to send hundreds of thousands of people scurrying into offices, spare bedrooms, studios and cafes to sit scrabbling at a keyboard for hours on end?

Well, I could tell you. But it wouldn't be half as interesting or exciting as letting Jodi tell you.

Jodi is my official 'Nanowrimo Buddy.' Last year, when I signed up to write 'The Bootleg Boys' in less than a month, I scanned through a list of participants who were also writing crime/mystery novels and Jodi jumped out at me (not literally, of course.)

I liked the cut of her jib! And you will too. Over the course of the last year, I've kept up with her border-spanning blog and been witness to her marriage, her pot plants and her struggles with Immigration officers (and she's an American, no less.)

Check out her blog here.

And in the mean time, enjoy her dissection of this Nanowrimo madness!

Jodi! For the uninitiated, what is Nanowrimo all about?

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It begins November 1st at 12:01 am and ends on November 30th, 11:59 pm. During this month, participants attempt to write a 50,000 word novel. Since you only have 30 days, it's about quantity, rather than quality. It's a lot more fun that it sounds, trust me.

What have you got planned for Nanowrimo 2007? Romance? Adventure? Science fiction?

Ack! I don't know! I really want to write a mystery, I love them. And I have such a good character in mind. And the BEST SIDEKICK EVER! But I tend to be more character driven, and I think mysteries need to be plot driven. I suppose I am intimated by that. We'll see, I still have 20 days to figure it out.

You managed to ‘win’ Nanowrimo two years running. What was your secret?

Truth is, my stories, and participating in NaNo, was so much more interesting than what was happening in my real life. I had a couple of writing buddies at work, and we would meet at lunch and "write." I recruited people to play along, and had word count competitions.

I also participated more in the local meet ups and writing groups. I was just so excited, there was no way I would let myself fail. I wanted the winners badge on my blog. I wanted to be worthy of the t-shirts. I have so many NaNoWriMo t-shirts, I'm anxiously awaiting 2007's shirt.

You also flunked out last year. Who’s to blame?

Love. Love is to blame. Love and World of Warcraft. Turns out, WoW is crack. I don't play anymore. But then, I only started to play WoW so I could have "dates" with my future husband when he was living on Vancouver Island and I was down in Seattle. Because I was IN LOVE.. I just wasn't in the mood to leave my reality for a fantasy world, LooOOOoove.

When you’re on good form, how do you make sure you get your 1,667 words per day?

Just sit down and do it. When it seems intimidating, I quit thinking about the word count, and start thinking about time. Maybe I will write for 15 minutes straight. See how that goes.
Sometimes getting started is the hardest part. I also write in public. I tap into my inherent shyness and bury myself in my story, and computer, to hide. Coffee houses, libraries, I used to write in a food court of a mall as well.

What ‘aids’ do you use (i.e. coffee, chocolate, drip-feed caffeine?)

Dr. Pepper, from a fountain, not a can or bottle. Also, music. I make playlists for my stories to get me in the right head space.

Do you do any ‘pre-game’ planning, like plot charts or anything like that?

I wish I was organized enough to make plot charts or outlines. (See above concerns about writing a mystery.) My pre-game preparations usually consist of making playlists in iTunes, and having long conversations with my main character. The first year, I had a long Q&A with my main character. Typed it out and everything.

Also, I try to clean my desk before November 1st. I think I might buy a new desk chair this year.

Husband: Help or Hindrance?

Well, I've never had a husband before, so we'll have to see. He is planning to participate as well, this year. If anything, I think the biggest hindrance for both of us is this tiny apartment. Since I am not working right now, I have all day while he is at work, but he never gets a moment to himself. There is no quiet place to hide in this place. Yes, I think it is I who will be the biggest hindrance in this scenario.

And possibly Guitar Hero III, which comes out for the PS3 at the end of October.

What the hell is a ‘plot bunny?’

I don't know, is that anything like a plot ninja/pirate? It's a tool NaNoers use when they're completely stuck. If you can't think of a single thing to write, put a ninja, or pirate, in the scene, that's bound to shake things up, right? Can't really ignore a ninja.

Once Nanowrimo’s finished, what are you going to do with your masterpiece?

The two times I won, I didn't actually finish the story, just the word count. I put the stories aside and got caught up in the holiday season. I looked through them, much much later, wasn't interested in pursuing them. My win in 2004 was so so so bad. There wasn't anything in it to pursue. This time, I am going to try to finish the story in 50k, so the bare bones are there. Maybe keep going, and fill things in after the month is over. I've got nothing but time, until my visa is approved, so it would be a shame not to finish it completely.

Thanks, Jodi! And good luck with Nanowrimo 2007!

There's still plenty of time for YOU to sign up to this exciting, infuriating, crazy madness. Head over to their website and sign up today. The more the merrier!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I love the qualifiers about the Dr. Pepper. Not from a bottle or a can. From a FOUNTAIN. I hear that. I shun the can and the bottle myself.

Great interview, by the way.