Thursday, October 04, 2007

Goodbye WinFM

On about 22 hours, 107.2 WinFM will be no more.

The radio station that once gave me my leg up into the radio industry is being reinvented, changing it's name to 'Dream 107.2.'

I'm very sad to see 'Win' go. Unfortunately, due to intense competition in the region, plus the growing popularity of iPods and personal listening devices, WinFM has been struggling a bit recently with dropping listener figures and advertising revenue.

With this relaunch, Tindle Radio will hopefully put in the money, time and (most importantly) love needed to rejuvenate the station. Win deserves it!

And old hands like Phil Marriott are still leading the charge, which is great!

It's people like Phil who've made WinFM such an awesome little station. I've worked for quite a few radio stations in my time and thoughout the shifting markets, the one thing I've realised is that no other FM station ever seemed to earn such love and loyalty from it's staff.

There's something magical about little WinFM that makes everybody who works there put just that little bit more effort in.

I made a ton of great friends working with WinFM - and worked with some really talented folks. One of the best things about working for such a little station was that we all had a chance to muck in and do things, both on air and off. I was a humble advertising exec, but I still managed to become 'Rolski on the Road' in the morning and found myself dragged into the studio on more than one occasion.

Win was the launching point for many people's careers. Even people who had firmly established radio credentials before they came to Win probably still remember their time there fondly. I certainly have fond memories of working with them. It's bittersweet that those times are over.

Even now, having left WinFM a number of years ago and got a great job working for a national radio network over in America, I look back at my experiences of Win and consider them some of the finest times I've ever had working in the radio business.

Goodbye, WinFM. You'll be missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Rolski! Elysa x