Tuesday, January 16, 2007

No Such Thing As Writer's Block

I don't believe in writer's block... But just like the person who said "I don't believe in ghosts, but they still frighten me" - I'm writer's blocked.

I'm not quite sure why. I've been having lots of luck at work. Coming back from the Christmas break obviously refreshed my creative batteries and I've been churning out scripts. Good ones, too. I also took the chance to enter three commercials into Gcap's Kudos awards. The judging's on the 24th January and I'm excited at the possibility of becoming an "Award Winning Creative Writer."

But Bootleg Boys doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I'm banging my head against the wall and slightly concerned that I'll have to do what often works in this situation and 'amputate' the previous few chapters and start again.

But despite suffering from Writer's Block, I still don't believe in it.

I've previously said that writer's block is just a physical manifestation of some subconcious observation. Whatever you're writing isn't right. There's a plot error, or some poor characterisation. You can't proceed until that's fixed. That's why the brutal 'amputation' method often works. Wiping out the most recent chapters often wipes out the source of the 'writer's block.'

I just need to work out what the problem is.

Funnily enough, though, I took some time out on Saturday night to write something else. I used to write what can only be described as 'smut' for Hustler Fantasies in California. It didn't pay that well, but it did open up the doors to writing 'erotica' for money.

It's an incredibly competitive field, since the world and his typing dog thinks that writing dirty stories is somehow easier than writing anything else. However, on Saturday night I sat down and swiftly hammered out a 6,000 word story which I was very happy with.

Due to the fact that parents, ex-students and work colleagues read this blog, I won't publish the story or link to it. However it does confirm my suspicions that this 'writer's block' I'm suffering from is somehow linked to that particular story, and hasn't affected my 'writing engine' at all.

More news as we have it.

No comments: