Tuesday, January 02, 2007

How to Become a Radio Presenter Part 2: Interview with Power FM's Claire Anderson.

You all know Claire Anderson, presenter for Power FM.

Even if you don't live in the South and listen to her show (shame on you,) you will have probably heard her voice, because Claire's got an incredibly distinctive, velvety voice which makes her a very popular choice with Commercial Production companies across the country.

She's abolutely lovely and was indulgent enough to answer a few questions I had about how she got into the radio business. So without further procrastination (my New Year's resolution) here's what she had to say...

So Claire, how long have you been a radio presenter? 10 years Could you give us a brief rundown of your career?

I started on hospital radio, to learn how to work an on air studio. That allowed me to make demos, and about 1 year after my first show, I got a job doing over nights at Rock FM in the North West.

What ambitions do you have for the future?

I would like to be very well paid and important enough to say, "I DO NOT work Xmas or New Year!" I have a secret wish to work at Classic FM.

Did you always want to get into radio?

I saw radio as a good way to get into TV. I did bits of TV, but it was too much like hard work, I hated having to learn lines and to make the TV side grow, you have to be 100% obsessed with making it happen. And I wasn't. So it didn't!

How exactly did you get your first job? Did you know anybody in the business first?

I knew a friend of my Dad's who ran the hospital radio station I went to work at.

What do you think made you stand out from the clamouring crowd?

Nothing. I was just free labour, as we had to work in the sweet shop and do ward rounds in return for having a go at doing a radio show

What's it actually like being a presenter?

It is like any other job. A good day is playing tunes you love, having good things to talk about and delivering it all well, and naturally. Engaging your audience as opposed to being back ground. A bad day is talking crap and knowing you are, but being unable to do anything about it. Also, horrid bosses who bug/bore you don't make good days...

What tips would you have for anybody trying to get into the presenting business?

I would say the hospital radio route is good cos you learn how to structure links, (beginning, middle and end, one thought one link etc) and how to use the equipment. It takes time ot get used to your voice in headphones, which is why you hear people putting on voices as soon as the mic goes up. ..

Then make demos after about 6 months of practise. The feedback you get may be harsh, but the faster you listen, the faster you will move on.

Thanks a million, Claire!

You can catch Claire's show every weekday from 1pm on PowerFM or from 10am on Sunday.

For Part One of How to Become a Radio Presenter, which featured an interview with East Texas jock Paul Orr, pop over here.

No comments: