Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Write Stuff

I am still hammering away at Nanowrimo.

It's a curious thing. If I didn't have a complete story established in my head, I don't think I'd have been able to do it. As a professional creative writer, I've quickly learned that the ideas are the time consuming thing. The actual writing is just a craft and I like to think I'm pretty good at it.

But in order to churn out an average of 1667 words per day, it's important to forget all the rules you might have set yourself about writing.

I am a terrible self editor. I read through what I've written and if I don't like it, I scrap it and start again. That's why I have so many great ideas and I just haven't done any of them. But Nanowrimo forces you to forget about the editing and just pour your ideas out onto the page. Reading through them afterwards in interesting.

Friday night, I had a couple of gin and tonics and decided to do my writing for the day and it flowed. The next day, reading it was actually like reading something somebody else had done. It was good stuff, too. It's like my ideas and my fingers had an exclusive connection, without having to go through my insecure and nervous brain like they normally do.

I tend to be a morning writer, but with Nanowrimo I have found myself writing late, until about midnight or 1am. This is out of necessity rather than choice, but I'm still getting the words down.

Am I happy with what I'm producing?

Not entirely.

Will I finish Nanowrimo?

I'm still confident.


No comments: