Sunday, November 26, 2006

Who killed Cock Robin?

It's always a temptation to 'self censor' a blog. Assuming that anybody reads it, you tend to try and put yourself in a decent light and it's tempting to 'gloss over' humiliating incidents.

But they don't half make for good reading...

So for that reason, I'll recount my recent thoughts on Round Robin Emails.

I hate round robins. Although I probably send more of them than anybody.



They're impersonal. They're usually tedious and basically they send the message that: "Yes, I still want to be counted as one of your friends, but I don't want to make the investment in actually writing to you individually."

This point was driven home after I set out my last 'round robin' for Thanksgiving. As I confessed, I send more round robins than anybody and I'm sure all my friends I send them to get as ticked off at them as I do.

Even more sure, actually, after I got an email back from somebody who I don't really know that well - hung out with just the once, actually - but who I've kept on my mailing list for the last couple of years.

"Hope all is well. please TAKE ME OFF your list. Best!"

It was short. It was friendly. And it basically told me to stop sending her this shit.

So I have decided, in order to maintain my presumably dwindling stock of friends, to stop sending Round Robins.

No comments: