Sunday, September 24, 2006

Blogging as Journalism

I just read a very interesting article in Writer's News about blogging.

Is blogging the new journalism?

Like it or not, the internet has transformed the writing industry, and perhaps not as you'd think. Book sales are as strong as ever. It seems nothing can match the experience of paper and ink in your hand (especially if it's by the beach, with some kind of rum drink in a hollowed out coconut.)

But journalism is changed forever.

Because now anybody and everybody has a voice. Whatever your opinion, sites like blogger allow you to create your own 'column.' A good showing online can lead to greater things. I'm sure you've all heard of Belle du Jour. She was a supposed Call Girl from London who posted her adventures on line. Recently, due to the number of hits and media attention her blog was getting, she managed to get a very juicy book deal. Belle du Jour's journal can now be found in Waterstones next to Winnie the Pooh.

Well, maybe not RIGHT NEXT to Pooh, but you get the picture.

They say that the blogger revolution will mean everybody will be famous for "fifteen people" instead of fifteen minutes. But other people might be able to follow Belle du Jour's example and make the leap from blogging to writing. Properly. And getting paid for it.

It's inspired me to think a bit more about what I post on my blog. I'm going to try and lean more towards interviews and opinions and lean away from shiny pictures of my new car. Maybe then I'll get discovered by an agent who wants an online journal like Belle Du Jour "but without the Jewish prostitute bits..."

I can wish, can't I?

No comments: