Thursday, January 05, 2012

A Year in Ginger

A post full of history requires a historic picture, courtesy of my friend Frank

Perhaps the best part of keeping a blog is that you keep a record of your life you can return to at any time. It prompted me to look back through 2011 and think about all the adventures I'd had. Here are some of the highlights:
In January, I became an American citizen. It was the final chapter in a decade-long journey to America; and a really significant and momentous occasion for me.

In February, I was given the incredible opportunity to travel to Spain with the crew of CNBC's Wine Portfolio TV show. I toured the vineyards of La Rioja, made a lot of new friends and learned a new appreciation for wine and wine culture.

In April, my best friend visited from England and we had a great time doing all the touristy things one never seems to get around to living in a country. In addition to a great trip to Washington D.C., we also visited Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia; which has to be seen to be believed.

Attending Rutgers Day was a great opportunity to salve our homesickness for rural Winchester. Rutgers is one of the largest colleges in America, and their agricultural school is a great place to explore for small people like Mini Militant.

In June, I headed to Philly Comic Con and got to shake the hand of non-other than "good ol' boy" Jonathan Schneider. In addition to getting the autograph of one of the Dukes of Hazzard, I also made friends with lots of lovely costumed ladies (my favorite was the lovely Lara Croft.)

July was the highlight of my year, of course - the arrival the Micro Militant. This little ginger rogue has already won us over with his big blue eyes and crooked smile. His big brother adores him, and we're very happy as a Militant Quartet.

In September, a villainous t-shirt vendor did the unthinkable and stole a picture of me as a cute ginger kid to use in their marketing campaign! I teamed up with another redhead who's often got her online identity stolen and managed to deliver justice. 

October delivered one of the strangest things I'd ever seen - a furious snow-storm in the midst of an Indian summer. I don't know what that says about global warming, but it says a lot about getting into training for shoveling The Locomotive out of the snow.

In November, after years living in America, I finally got myself to a gun range and blasted some holes in inanimate objects with .45 handguns and a pump action 12 gauge. It was all very manly and American and I enjoyed it immensely (although I'll still stick to swords and bows for home defense.)

And finally, in December, I took delivery of a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic somebody had literally given me. Whether it winds up being the next Gingermobile still remains to be seen; but it's definitely an exciting project to start the new year with.
There's no denying it. 2011 was a very good year; but I still think 2012 promises to beat it. Stay tuned to Militant Ginger to find out how.

3 comments:

Susanne said...

I enjoyed this! You did have a really good year!

Andy said...

Roland, 2011 really was a bitchin' year for you!

I've enjoyed your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Will stay tuned!

UNITED RACES said...

RED HAIR
AND
THE BRITDEMS







"Can you tell me what is your position on the much maligned red headed people. Are we Ginger? Are we white Ginger? Are we red? Under your secret banner will we still be the only minority that can be picked on with immunity?"

If you can get this right I could leave UKIP.

http://www.democracyforum.co.uk/talk-about-anything/91466-britdems-british-racial-democratic-party-brdp-19.html#post1209257


_____________________________

http://united-races.blogspot.com/2012/01/red-hair-and-britdems.html