Thursday, April 02, 2009

Glenn Beck -

"It took me about a year to start hating the 9/11 victims' families. When I see a 9-11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh, shut up!' I'm sick of them."

Glenn Beck, founder of the '9/12 project'

There are plenty of inflammatory figures in the arena of political punditry, but you'd be hard pressed to find one more disgusting than Glenn Beck.

A former local radio hack, this publicity-craving sellout is currently hosting a self-named show on Fox News, during which he proudly launched 'The 9/12 Project' - a campaign to encourage Americans to 'act as they did the day after 9/11.'

I'm not sure what he could possibly mean by that. Having first arrived in America about a month after September 11th 2001, I distinctly remember the atmosphere then - and it was one of fear, anger, resentment and hollow sadness. I don't think any New Yorker would want to go back to feeling like they did that day.

As far as I'm aware, Glenn Beck was sunning himself in Tampa, Fla. when the Twin Towers fell, explaining why he has no idea what the tragedy was like for the people directly affected by it.

The 9/12 project is supposed to advocate '9 Principles' and '12 Values.' Ironically, as Glenn Beck has illustrated time and time again (by comments like the one I started this post with) he actually has no principles - rendering him unqualified to preach on that topic.

The '9/12' project is so absolutely disgusting because it milks a tragedy that Beck clearly has no understanding of. He's already stated that he loathes the actual victims of the terrorist attacks. In tours across what he called 'the real America,' he expressed his contempt and loathing for the liberal proclivities of New York City itself.

He actually hates the people affected by the attacks, which makes his cynical use of their suffering even more revolting.

Glenn Beck doesn't care about what really happened on 9/11 or how it really affected the family of those murdered by Al Queda. He just wants to use the tragedy to further his pathetic 'career'. He's a disgusting self-publicist clambering to infamy on the bones of 2,974 slaughtered innocents.

As a so-called Christian, he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself.

I wasn't in New York for the attacks of 9/11 - but in the years I've spent visiting and living in this wonderful city, I've met hundreds of people who were. I have one friend who was actually in the towers when the planes hit. Others I know lost friends, colleagues and family members when the buildings fell.

The 9/12 project is nothing short of Glenn Beck going up to each one of these fine people and metaphorically spitting in their face. The man is nothing short of a disgrace.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

On 9/12 I was angry, scared and depressed. I felt utter helpless and hopeless.

So, yeah. Can't wait to feel THAT again.

Anonymous said...

Glenn Beck is loud, obnoxious, and has a sarcastic sense of humor. I've listened to him when I'm running errands in the car. Sometimes I catch a good bit of his program and then other times I can miss weeks. I was very disgusted with him back when Palin was first announced as McCain's running mate because he did this thing on his show where he played Barry White and talked about her being hot. It was so tacky that I posted about it and sent him and his producer e-mails... and said I wasn't going to listen to his show anymore.

Well, seeing as I posted about the 9-12 project, I obviously did not stick to that long term.

Glenn Beck is one of those people that regularly oversteps the bounds of good taste in what he says and how he says it. However, if you listened to him over a period of time you would come to a different conclusion than you have here. I am not defending his lack of tact... I'm just saying there is more there than you know.

Beck is Mormon. Christianity is a pretty big umbrella under which there are some pretty big differences across the board. Just to clarify.

When he talks about 9/12... it is about the way that it didn't matter what your political affiliations were... we were all Americans. I had not heard that comment you have above. It is most certainly rude and inflammatory. However, if you were more familiar with him you would know that what he probably meant by that is that a certain desensitization occurred in the months and years following 9/11 that he didn't think should have... thus the return to 9/12 and the remembering of how awful 9/11 was and how we were all Americans first then. Does that make sense?

Beck is a weird dude. I mean... seriously. He had a show on CNN and now has one on FOX. I never saw him on CNN and I've only seen a few snippets of the FOX one... and the entire 9-12 project episode. He gets very emotional about the things going on in our country. It is actually uncomfortable to watch.

I do happen to like what he has put together for the 9-12 project and what he is trying to do through it. He is trying to get people to come together and start becoming more aware of what is going on in our country. He's trying to get people to start paying more attention to their neighbors and develop deeper relationships... Does that make sense?

He wrote a book called, "The Christmas Sweater." It's not political or anything... it is just a story about a boy who loses his father and how he treats his mother as she struggles to provide for him on his own. It is semi-autobiographical in that he took some of it from his own life. He was pretty messed up and an alcoholic earlier in his life.

I very much understand where you are coming from in this post. I do. I just think you don't have the entire picture. Beck is one of those types that ilicits a strong response from most people. They either love him or hate him. I'm one of those than can listen to/be around those that are comprised of parts that I don't agree with or like and still be able to appreciate those parts that I do like.

Roland Hulme said...

As usual, that was a very articulate, well-considered response, Coffee Bean! It inspired me to think about why this whole thing makes me so angry - I'll post about it today.