Friday, March 06, 2009

Who says I hate new cars?

Anybody who knows me well knows that I don't go for modern cars. If it's not twenty-five years-old or more, I'm generally not interested.

Older cars aren't better, exactly. But they do have more character, history and class. I enjoy the way they drive and I like having enough mechanical know-how to work on them myself - something today's computer-controlled cars have obliterated.

That being said, there are some modern cars I like. Here are my top five:

The Ford Mustang

I defy anybody not to love this car. It's simply delicious - an utterly unashamed, masculine indulgence that embraces its muscle-car past and delivers performance and finesse. With a range of stomach-churning V8 engines to choose from, plus the option of a manual gear-box, this car has got it going on.


Dodge Challenger

Slightly hokier - this car's a gimic, while the Mustang's the authentic article - you can't help but dig the classic lines of this outrageous hot-rod. With the option of GM's 5.7 liter Hemi V8 and a six-speed manual gearbox, this is an old school, climb-in-through-the-windows muscle car that just oozes testosterone.

Chysler 300

Another reimagined classic, the modern-day Chrysler 300 (like the new Dodge Charger) has little in common with the car that spawned it. The original Chrysler 300 was the first true muscle car (and used by Moonshiner Jerry Rushing, whose life inspired The Dukes of Hazzard.)

However, this muscular, powerful sedan has something about it I like. It reminds me of a fleshly, well-fed Italian gangster. It's slightly showy and ostentatious, but it's powerful and practical.


Volvo C30

Another reimagined classic, the Volvo C30 is the ancestor of Volvo's famous P1800 sports car, and the Volvo 480 that followed it. A two-door hatchback, this powerful little car is a beauty to drive and blends precise performance with unusual styling.


Toyota FJ Cruiser

A Japanese car? No, I haven't lost my senses. I really like the latest incarnation of Toyota's famous FJ line. It's really rugged, looks outstanding and those suicide doors are just fab. You really could imagine crossing the desert in one of these things - and the range of accessories available for it make that a viable possibility.

The weirdest thing about all these cars?

They're ALL remakes, in one form or another.

The Chysler 300 originally hit the market in the 1950s. The Volvo sportscar and Ford Mustang are sixties icons. The original Dodge Challenger and FJ Cruiser made their mark during the seventies.

Perhaps the fact that these cars are history, reimagined, is why I like them so much!

1 comment:

Betty Boogie said...

I like the first 3, I haven't really paid attention to the other2 though. Hey I thought you should see the Desoto Adventurer Mr B. found on craigslist today, I know it's far away but thought you'd still like to see it. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1065644064.html Is it the new Gingermobile???