Friday, March 27, 2009

David Hannan skewers Gordon Brown

British politics. I don't discuss it much, because it's dire.

Therefore, it's a delightful surprise to see Scottish potato Gordon Brown skewered with unswerving accuracy by Conservative MEP David Hannan. I'd never heard of Hannan before (despite living in his constituency for four years) but I have to admit, I'm impressed with the performance.

I find it ironic where Labour is right now. Leftists like Neil Clark label Gordon Brown and his party as 'neo-conservative' while Hannan attacks them for nationalizing swathes of the British economy. The truth is, they're not 'right' or 'left.' They're wallowing in the middle - not championing compromise, but mediocrity.

I think Hannan is sharp, measured and meticulous in his evisceration of the Prime Minister. Sadly, despite a lot of curiosity being generated by this speech, I don't think it'll take us anywhere new.

Hannan's too forthright and direct - not to mention (as David Cameron has illustrated) nobody who speaks with a Received Pronunciation accent gets taken seriously in British politics any more.

Pity.

1 comment:

Sarah M. Arnold said...

This thing's gone viral. I love it. Bravo.