Saturday, August 02, 2008

Quantum of Solace...

This weekend, Tina bought me the latest James Bond book - a continuation of the Ian Fleming adventures written by 'Birdsong' author Sebastian Faulks.

More on the book later - but that (and a rerun of cynical Bond outing Tomorrow Never Dies) inspired me to write a bit more about the exciting new James Bond movie Quantum of Solace - due in cinemas this November.

If you want to know what Quantum of Solace actually means - and why EON Productions picked that as the title of the 22nd Bond movie - click here.

In it, bad guy Dominic Greene will be played by veteran French actor Mathieu Amalric.

I found it amusing that he had this to say about his performance:

"I modeled my performance on the smile of Tony Blair and the craziness of Nicholas Sarkozy, the worst villain we, the French, have ever had. He walks around thinking he's in a Bond film."

Amalric later 'clarified' this was not criticism of either politician - but more a criticism of how politicians rely on performance rather than genuine policies to win power.

"Sarkozy was just a better actor than Ségolène Royal – that's why he won the presidency."

Nice try, Mathieu! But I think it's difficult to back away from accusing Sarkozy of being 'the worst villain we, the French, have ever had.'

In any event, I think Quantum of Solace promises to be an exciting film and I just hope it - and bad guy 'Mister Greene' - live up to the hype.

2 comments:

April said...

At the risk of sounding like a thirteen year old girl in heat - OMG!! I am so excited to see this movie. Not only because I want to run away with Daniel Craig and have his babies, but because it really looks like a good flick. I love that he has made Bond a realistic bad ass and not just some suave tuxedo wearing, gadget carrying metrosexual. They are opening this character up to a whole new audience. I can not wait until November 7!!

zooplah said...

Yeah, I've seen all 21 of the Bond movies (and Never Say Never Again), and I'll probably watch this one in the theater. But isn't the baddie named Mr. White?