Monday, March 31, 2008

An Empty Room

After believing in God for nearly thirty years, I sometimes find it difficult to shake off some the old habits I used to have back in my 'faithful' days.

Like when faced with adversity - which could mean some life threatening crisis, or just hoping Tina doesn't discover I spilt candle-wax on the carpet - I often retreat into myself to that little imaginary room where I used to speak to God.

Except, of course, it's empty.

I find it very strange that my faith in God has completely evaporated, yet that room still remains. As an amateur psychologist [Since when were you an amateur psychologist? - Editorial Bear] I imagine everybody has this empty room in their heads and as people grow up, they fill it with whatever symbol of faith gives them comfort (or they're ruthlessly indoctrinated with.)

I'm going to stick a bookshelf in mine. Full of science and history books.

3 comments:

Miss Caught Up said...

That is interesting... I don't have an empty room though. If there is a room then it is full of chaos.. I wonder what that means.

Anonymous said...

Amateur Psychologist. Is there any other kind ?

Mycroft, Oxford.

Kitty said...

The empty room is an interesting concept. I'm not sure what's in mine. I do have some semblance of 'faith' but it doesn't subscribe to any 'prescribed' form of faith. I also have 'books' in my head - and music, and memories, and ... a whole lot of other 'stuff'. x