Sunday, August 19, 2007

Back in the City

This week has been something of an adventure - hence the lack of blog posts.

The most exciting thing that happened to me must have been my return to New York. In almost three months of being back in America, I've failed to visit New York City even once, which is shocking. But I had a job interview on Avenue of the Americas and I got to see the city that I fell in love with once again.

Like it's always done, New York blew me away with the sheer size and scale of the place. I was up around 53rd Street, between 5th and 6th Avenue. That's where the big business is done and the buildings suggest that, all being tall, no-nonsense geometric shapes. Gazing up at them made you dizzy.

It's a nice part of town. There's MOMA, the Museum of Modern Art. You can see The Rock, which is the local name for the Rockefeller Centre and the headquarters of NBC. If you've ever in the town, there's a view from the 'top of the Rock' that rivals the Empire State, so it's worth a visit. Plus there's the famous Radio City, which I got to see from ground level and from the 36th floor of one of the big tower blocks.


Around the back of 'The Rock' was something I hadn't seen since we left Winchester - a farmer's market! Most of the produce came from local states like Jersey and Pennsylvania.


It was fun and exciting to be back. It made me sad that I didn't make the effort to head to Manhattan earlier. But at least this time, I had a reason for going - and nothing marks you as a tourist more quickly than not storming down the New York sidewalks like you've got a purpose.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

i'm such a tourist in nyc. no only do i look around confused and in awe, but i apologize to everyone who bumps into me.