Thursday, July 26, 2007

Potter the Otter

I have a terrible confession to make. I haven't bought or started to read the latest Harry Potter book yet.

The truth is, I just haven't got around to it. They were selling them in Walmart for $20, but that seemed pretty expensive compared to the £6.57 editions they were flogging in Sainsburys, back in England. So although Bloomsbury have already shifted 12 million copies of The Deathly Harrows, none of them belong to me.

But I am totally behind it. What an incredible phenomenon Harry Potter is. Just yesterday, I was chatting to a colleague of mine who was clutching his copy of Harry 7 - he was 300 pages in.
"I never read a book," he told me, "until my girlfriend made me read Harry Potter."

And he's been an addict ever since.

Which is pretty incredible to me. J.K. Rowling has managed to seduce an entire generation into reading again. Forget iPods, the Internet, cable television and satellite radio... Right now, the coolest 'must have' gadget is a 700 page hardback book.

Here's one take on Potterdom from Owen Gieni and Chris Cosby's inspired webcomic Sore Thumbs.

No comments: