Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Interview with novelist Paul Burston

82. (NEW ENTRY THIS YEAR) Paul Burston, Novelist

Burston, 41, has been gay editor of Time Out for almost 14 years and also makes regular contributions to television and radio. Burston's first book, Shameless, was made into a TV programme for NBC. His third novel, Lovers and Losers, is out this year.

This was the Independent on Sunday's appraisal of journalist and writer Paul Burston - and in keeping with the standards of British journalism, at least part of it is true.

The piece came from 2007's 'Pink List' - a list of Britain's "Great and Gay," celebrating the achievements and contributions of out-and-proud gay Brits. Paul was recognized for the first time this year, placing a respectable 82 on the list of 100 most important 'Pink Brits.'

The Independent's research is a bit fuzzy. As Paul himself points out, his novel Shameless is sadly not being made into a TV show for NBC (not yet, at least) and he humbly queries being considered hotter than eighties icon Boy George (who came 86th on the Pink List.)

However, one thing is for certain. Paul's overdue appearance on the list confirms that other people are finally recognizing all his hard work.

Burston wears a lot of hats. Figuratively speaking. (Perhaps literally as well - I never got around to asking.) He's been the editor of Time Out London's gay section for the past 14 years and crops up on radio and television more and more frequently. However, it was as a novelist that the Independent on Sunday recognized him.

Paul's first novel, Shameless, became a critical and commercial hit in 2001, joining the best seller lists as well as being shortlisted for a State of Britain Award. Lovers and Losers, Paul's third novel, was released recently and seems to be heading in a similar direction.

Paul very kindly agreed to answer a few questions I had about his writing career and how he managed to hit the best seller lists. As usual, my questions are in bold and his answers are in italics:

So how did it all all start? At what point did a fresh-faced Paul Burston decide that he was going to make a career for himself writing, instead of taming lions or diving for oysters?

I've always written stuff, ever since I was a kid. At junior school I used to write stories about a character called Jim and my teacher would have me read them out at morning assembly. Then I'd get beaten up in the playground. But they didn't beat it out of me.

When did you decide to write your first novel? And why?

It was partly inspired by real life events. And I wanted to write the kind of gay novel I liked to read - nothing too literary, quite light but with some serious points. To me it was a natural extension of my non-fiction writing. It had the same aims - to entertain and to inform.

What was the process that took you from germ-of-an-idea to getting-pen-to-paper?

There's no bog secret to it. You just have to sit down and write. And write. And write. A lot of what you write will be bollocks, but you cut that stuff out or go back and fix it. There's none of that 'sitting around on a chaise lounge waiting for inspiration' nonsense. Writing is work, and sometimes it feels like it.

Your novels are brimming with nostalgia and pop-culture. How much of your own personal experiences wind up between the pages?

A lot. Sometimes I don't realise how much until afterwards. For me writing fiction is far more revealing than even the most personal confessional journalism. You're hiding behind your characters, and inevitably you let things slip through that you wouldn't have the courage to say as yourself.

How do you go about writing? Do you have a schedule? A particular place or room you write in? Do you write in the early morning or late into the night? Do you use a word processor or write long hand?

I work 9-5 in my study at home, on my Applemac. I could never write long hand again. Computers have changed the way I organise material and even the way I think. I do keep notebooks, which I carry everywhere. But I've learned to copy notes onto my mac as soon as possible, or I might end up with a notebook full of notes and no novel!

Some days I might work late into the night, but I try to avoid this because it stops me from sleeping. I wake up at 3am with my brain racing!

So from when you finished writing the first draft of Lovers and Losers to when you sent it off to the publishers, what sort of editing process did you go through?

My editor reads my stuff and makes suggestions. Mostly she's bang on target and I make changes - fleshing out a scene, or reintroducing a character we haven't seen in a while. Then it goes to a copy editor and they query things - mainly to do with style. I don't change much. I'm quite firm about retaining my 'voice'.

What do you think the secret to getting published is? Why do you think your writing stood out?

I honestly have no idea. I was approached by my publisher many years ago to write a non-fiction book, and it went from there. Having a good agent is essential. Most publishers won't read manuscripts without an agent attached.

My agent is Sophie Hicks at Ed Victor. She's an out lesbian and very well respected. I prefer having a female agent and editor. I have two sisters, and my mum was alone for a bit when I was young. I guess I relate more easily to women.

What was the last fiction book you read?

Neil Bartlett's 'Skin Lane'. He's an amazing writer. I love his use of language and the eroticism of his writing.

What advice do you have for any aspiring writers out there?

Be prepared to work had at it. Writing is a job, and it requires vast amounts of effort. Be prepared to work long and hard at it before you get it right. And get an agent.

Thanks a million for your answers, Paul. They're fascinating.

Check out Lovers and Losers on Amazon and visit Paul's website here.

No comments: