Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Save money on YOUR American Immigration

Tina and I have spent thousands of dollars and three years of our life trying to get permission to live and work in the United States.

We did it the legal way. The right way.

I know that 11 million illegal immigrants in America haven't done it that way, but I wanted to be different. My reasons where two-fold. First off, I respected the American system and wanted to be part of it. Secondly, living as an undocumented alien in America would have prevented me with certain obstacles.

Foremost of these was a back account. Unless you have a valid social security number, you aren't allowed to have a bank account in America. That means, if you get paid by cheque, you lose 10% of your income to the sharks who 'process' cheques for you at those handy cheque cashing places.

Not having a bank account is one of the biggest obstacles an illegal immigrant faces.

Until now.

Because the Bank of America has announced that they will allow customers without social security numbers to have bank accounts, provided they have an overdraft free bank account for three months.

An ATM card, overdraft, cheque cashing, loans. Everything an illegal immigrant needs.

It's just another step America is taking towards granting asylum to 11 million people who came to America illegally. People who drive without insurance or licences. People who live without medical insurance and cost the US Taxpayer millions in free medical treatment. People who have shown time and time again that they hold the criminal laws of America in as much contempt as the immigration laws.

I can see why the Bank of America wants to do it, of course. Illegal immigrants generate billions of dollars in illegal revenue each month. Finally, there's a bank who gets a peice of that action.

But I find it a terrible insult. They shouldn't be allowed to do this. Why the hell did Tina and I go through thousands of dollars and months of impatience to get a green card if America's basically giving US residency away for free?

There was a time when I could have made the choice to become a real illegal immigrant. And I didn't. Instead Tina and I decided to do the right thing - and we got royally screwed by it. The US Immigrations department lost our paperwork. Our lawyer showed almost criminal incompetance. We had to put our life on hold for three years for a stupid bit of paper while 11 million illegal immigrants waltz over the Rio Grande and get all the goodies IMMEDIATELY and FREE.

I'll tell you this - with life getting cosier and cosier for illegal immigrants in the USA, is it any wonder that more and more of them come to the USA every single year?

Things aren't as cushy for them as it is for illegals in the UK (free house, nice benefits) but I'll tell you what. The weather's a damn site nicer over there.

America, please. You have Immigration Laws already in place. Either enforce them, or give Tina and I our damn money back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Biology professor (British with an Aussie wife) used to go off on how he could pay taxes for 12 years (at that point) but couldn't be granted citizenship. Truly ridiculous.