Friday, January 19, 2007

Racism: A different perspective

All this talk of racism on Big Brother had got me angry.

I remember a time when I was at Lampeter University, and I got cornered by a bunch of yobbish locals.

They called me a 'Ginger Minger' because I had red hair.

They made fun of my accent, because I have a fairly posh southern English accent.

They mocked me for living in Cornwall, which made me a 'sheep shagger.' Golly, how can any Welsh person throw THAT accusation about?

Anyway. I got away with a bruised ego and a dislike for Lampeter's townies. And people told me to get over it. That's life.

However, when Shilpa Shetty is made fun of for bleaching her dark facial hair, that's RACISM.

When Jade Goody and company mocked her thick Indian accent, that's RACISM.

When Jade's lesbian mother demanded to know if she lived in a shack or not, that's RACISM.

Why are my experiences considered 'tough luck' and Shilpa's considered racism?

Either there's no validity in these accusations... Or I got royally screwed.

No comments: